The Ultimate Guide
to Building Automation Systems
You may be wondering, “What is a Building Automation System” Even among “building automation” professionals there’s a lack of consensus around what building automation is. And this is exactly why I wrote this guide. The purpose of this guide is to help you understand what building automation is.
No matter what your role is when you finish this guide you will understand what a building automation system is and how it works.
And that is where most “building automation 101” guides end. But that is not where we end!
By the time you finish this guide you will understand:
- The real-world outcomes you can expect to achieve from a building automation system
- How the modern BAS systems came to be and why you should care
- A process for being able to look at BAS designs and intuitively understand them
- What the different pieces of a BAS system are used for
- The ins and outs of BAS software
- The stupidity of “cybersecurity fear mongering” and how to secure a BAS
- The secret to upgrading a BAS, without failing repeatedly
- Why trends, alarms, and reports are the most under-utilized feature of a BAS
- How to work with IT groups and why IT isn’t your enemy
- How to move into the world of BAS and how to develop your BAS teams (coming soon)
By now, you may be feeling overwhelmed. You may look at that list and say holy moley, that’s a ton of information.
And you know what, you’d be right. Building automation is a complex topic and this isn’t some 1,000-word guide designed to grab clicks and teach you nothing.
So here’s the deal:
I’m really good at simplifying complex topics, I like to think it’s my super power. If you stick with me through this whole guide you will leave with a massively increased knowledge of building automation.